ASV services make sure an organization’s data security is up to the standards of handling sensitive client data like credit cards. An ongoing requirement to maintain PCI compliance involves having your payment car environment scanned for security vulnerabilities. This is a top-down process that finds weaknesses and areas that need remediation.
This blog will take a closer look at PCI compliance and how approved scanning vendor services work within a greater framework that keeps your payment environments, and therefore your customers, safe.
A scan looks at every aspect of your security, searching for vulnerabilities. While quarterly scans are meant to be done every 90 days, it is best to scan as frequently as you can or after any major change to your environment so vulnerabilities can be identified sooner. Here are the major elements of an ASV scan:
- Independence – Like any audit, an ASV scan is meant to be done by a third-party ASV Vendor such as RCS Secure. The results of your ASV scan need to be documented by your vendor. They are also responsible for the secure scan, attestation, and remediation in case of a false positive.
- Remediation – Any failure in your system needs to be promptly addressed. ASV scan vendors have procedures in place to analyze the failure, ask for evidence, and amend the report once the failure has been remediated.
As a merchant, storing and transmitting cardholder data means accepting a level of risk. If the merchant is hacked, the cardholder and the merchant are at risk.
PCI compliance addresses the technological side as well as the administrative side of businesses. To understand PCI compliance, a merchant needs to embrace and internalize the six main goals of PCI compliance:
- Build and maintain a secure network and system
- Protect cardholder data
- Maintain a vulnerability management program
- Implement strong access and control measures
- Regularly monitor and test networks
- Maintain an information security policy
ASV scans are a critical element to maintaining all of these. A payment system that is built to meet requirements maintained through periodic checks.
As a PCI Approved Scanning Vendor, RCS Secure delivers ASV scanning services to satisfy PCI requirements and maintain your compliance.
- We scan for cross-site scripting, SQL injection, and remote file inclusion.
- We include application and network-based vulnerabilities.
- Our scans determine where security issues are occurring.
- Perform scans on a predetermined schedule.
- Report vulnerability information to third parties to assist with compliance efforts.
Our scanning services empower your business and give you the peace of mind you need that your security and compliance needs are being met.
Security is a big issue for businesses that have storefronts as well as an online presence. The more effort a business puts into meeting and exceeding PCI compliance requirements, the more serious they appear to customers and vendors. PCI compliance isn’t simply a requirement; it is an advantage and value a business can pass along to customers.
Businesses come to us for many reasons, but one of the most common is they need a managed security service provider to undo the ineffective existing security solutions they have deployed over the years. Some of them were planned. Others, including their procedures that pertain to PCI compliance, are temporary solutions that evolved into permanent ones. What is clear is that many businesses approach security as an afterthought which leads to poor results and increased risk.
One important aspect of this is ASV scanning and PCI compliance. If our goal is to bring cyber security to the forefront of everything your business does, ASV scans are an important element.
We help businesses like yours develop compliance solutions that not only help you avoid heavy-penalties but truly protects your data and increases customer trust. If compliance is a true mystery, reach out to us today. It is time for you to do business with complete confidence.
RCS Secure offers a full spectrum of cyber security safeguards and services. Our services combine compliance standards expertise with cutting-edge technology to identify risks, prioritize remediation, and ensure you are both secure and compliant.